Thursday, September 1, 2011

You are my SUNSHINE!

This song is popular, even I've heard of it.  I think it's one of those songs that are part of the collective consciousness of Americans, covered by countless artist, and is intimately connected with Louisiana governor Jimmie Davis.  


Artwork: I wanted to convey the pulsating energy of the sun and a simple object of adoration, like in the song.  I chose to do a "color scratcher" like we did in grade school (coloring the paper with swatches of color and then covering it with a layer of black oil pastel and using a toothpick to scratch a picture.  The literal part of this technique is to present color peeking through "when skies are grey." But I also feel like this technique allows for precise lines and more liberal lines.  


Subject: The first image in my mind I had were Crepuscular rays/God rays through the trees (too literal?) and a woman with her back to us, basking in the sun.  I hope my technical skills are up for the challenge!


You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away. 



The last line was particularly affecting; inspired one of my favorite modern songs.

1 comment:

  1. The version we have on the S&P set is Norman Blake, as featured in the movie, O Brother Where art Thou. I think this version was chosen because it is particularly "folks" especially with the banjo and the fast tempo.

    My favorite version though, is John Hurt's because his gentle voice (and how honest it sounds?) is so somber and the slow tempo brings a dimension to the song.

    ReplyDelete